Monday, November 12, 2007

Healing through humor

Humor...immediately following our first miscarriage, I couldn't bring myself to laugh. I couldn't bring myself to do much, but certainly, nothing seemed all that funny. As time passed, however, humor became helpful in healing, and with our second miscarriage, there was nothing like laughing at our son (who is amazingly silly) to help heal the hurt we were feeling. I try to keep my perspective as heavenward as possible (at all times, but speaking especially about after a miscarriage right now). Looking at things in light of salvation often lightens the heavy weight I can feel after a miscarriage and allows for some laughter and humor to enter. For example, one thing I love to reflect on is how when I go to Mass, I am reunited with my girls. When reflecting on this one day recently (since we found out we were pregnant again), I thought, wow, we take 4 kids to Mass every time we go. This is especially amazing because I often take 4 kids to daily Mass all by myself! I like to joke now that I can't see why mothers think it's so difficult to take their children to Mass, taking four isn't bad at all! :-)

No comments: